Prof. Dr. BOHDAN SYROYID SYROYID is Assistant Professor of music education at the University of Salamanca (Spain). Syroyid is an award-winning composer, classically-trained pianist and a passionate music educator with a wide range publications on the didactics of musical instruments and singing. Syroyid is author of 15 referred articles, 10 book chapters and 49 spoken papers at international research conferences worldwide. Doctor of Musicology (PhD) by the University of Leuven (Belgium) and the University of Valladolid (Spain). Syroyid speaks six languages, namely: Spanish, English, German, French, Ukrainian, and Russian. He has completed three master’s degrees — in music research, composition and education— and two bachelor’s degrees — in classical piano performance and contemporary music composition.
Current Academic Positions
- Assistant Professor in Music Education at the University of Salamanca (Spain). 2022-present.
- External Faculty in Musical Research at the Valencia International University (Spain). 2020-present.
- Visiting Lecturer in Musical Pedagogy at the Alfonso X El Sabio University (Spain). 2022-present.
- Guest Lecturer in Musicology at the Faculty of Musicology at the University of Turku (Finland). 2020-2021.
- Guest Lecturer of Music Theory and Composition at the School of Music of the University of Rhode Island (United States). 2020-2021.
- Guest Professor in Music Analysis at the Institute of Musicology and Performance Studies of the University of Music and Performing Arts in Vienna (Austria). 2019-2020.
- Invited Erasmus Professor in Musicology at the Faculty of Musicology at the University of Turku (Finland). 2019-2020.
- Visiting Lecturer at the Faculty of Humanities at the International University of La Rioja (Spain).
- Associate Lecturer in Music Education at the University of Salamanca (Spain). 2021-2022.
- Associate Lecturer in Music Education at the University Castilla-La Mancha (Spain). 2018-2022.
- Associate Lecturer in Music Education at the University of Valladolid (Spain). 2019-2020.
- President of the Society of Composers and Performers of Malaga (ACIM Malaga). 2015-2019.
- 2020: PhD in Musicology. University of Leuven (Belgium). “Analysis of Silences in Music: Theoretical Perspectives, Analytical Examples from Twentieth-Century Music, and In-Depth Case Study of Webern’s Op. 27/iii”. Supervisor: Mark Delaere. This degree was endorsed in Spain by the University of Valladolid.
- 2019: MEd in Management, Innovation, and Leadership of Educational Centers (1-year graduate programme). University of Camilo José Cela (Spain).
- 2017: MFA with Distinction in Professional Composition and Orchestration (2-year graduate programme). Double master’s programme: MA Orchestration for Films, Games & MA Television and Professional Media Composition. University of Chichester (United Kingdom).
- 2015: MA in Music Research (1-year graduate programme). International University of La Rioja (Spain).
- 2022: BA(Hons) in Classical Piano Performance (4-year undergraduate programme). Higher Conservatory of Music of Castilla-La Mancha (Spain).
- 2014: BA(Hons) in Contemporary Music Composition (4-year undergraduate programme). Higher Conservatory of Music of Málaga (Spain).
Grants & Awards
- Grant by the Department of Physical Education, Arts Education, and Music of the University of Castilla-La Mancha for the contributions to international conferences in music education (2019-2022).
- Incentive for the premiere of an chamber piece “Cuarteto de Cuerda” (String Quartet) by the SGAE Foundation (Spain). The piece was premièred by the String Quartet ACIM Málaga (2018).
- SEMPRE Conference Award of The Society for Education, Music, and Psychology Research in Great Britain for a spoken-paper presented at the 15th International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition, and 10th triennial conference of the European Society for the Cognitive Sciences of Music (ICMPC15/ESCOM10), Graz, Austria (2018).
- Winner of the 9th Award of the Musical Foundation of Malaga, for the best academic record of the Higher Conservatory of Music of Málaga (2015), with a two-year grant for postgraduate studies.
- Grant from the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport, Professional Formation and Universities of Spain for studying a master’s degree in musical research (2014).
- Winner of the 1st Prize at the 1st Composition Competition for Symphonic Orchestra “Emilio Lehmberg” with the original composition “Los bosques de cemento” (Cement forests) organized by the Higher Conservatory of Music of Málaga (2014).
- Winner of the 1st Prize at the 1st Composition Competition for Symphonic Band “Maestro Artola” with the original composition “Mar sin agua” (Waterless sea) organized by the Higher Conservatory of Music of Malaga (2013).
- Finalist at the 1st Competition of Young Chamber Music Performers in Malaga (2012).
- Grant for studying at the Higher Conservatory of Music of Malaga by the Council of Education in Andalusia (2010–2013).
- Winner of the 1st Prize at the Elementary Piano Competition “Gonzalo Martín Tenllado” (2008).